6.14.2010

there's no place like berlin



Living in Berlin was the single most inspiring and life changing event I've ever experienced. As a 19 year old who had never been anywhere outside of the U.S., I started my trip with wide eyes and a pocketful of naivete. I ignored the fact that I had never traveled anywhere by myself, let alone a city 4400 miles away from home. All I knew was that I could not only survive but thrive on my own in a foreign country without familiar people or places.

As soon as I landed at Tegel Airport, I realized I had no idea where I was going. STA Travel, the travel company I reserved my language courses, flight, and apartment with, scheduled a driver to pick me up from the airport and take me to my new place. Yet, after waiting 45 minutes for a tall, dark, and handsome man driving a van to find me, I realized he wasn't coming. No one was. Talk about a reality check. In the end, I ended up paying over 100 euros for a bus and s-bahn ticket to Friedrichshain, but it was worth it.

The fourth floor walk up I shared with a thirty-something fire thrower named Eva felt like home after only two nights of sleeping on the frame-less mattress in the middle of my lofted bedroom. Every day was spent in morning language classes, wandering the city, eating currywurst from a street vendor, then meeting friends for hefeweizen. If it was a great night it usually ended with a doner kebab.

In memory of my time living in the fourth floor walk up I want to share a recipe I found for vegan currywurst. Believe me, there's nothing in the world like Berlin street food!

Curryvurst
Adapted from Sparkpeople
Makes 2 servings

4 Veggie hotdogs*
1/4 cup organic ketchup
1 tbsp curry powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cinnamon

-Boil 4 cups of water in a medium pot. Once water is boiling, turn off heat and place veggie dogs in water. Let sit for 3 minutes with pot covered.

-Combine ketchup and spices in a small bowl and set aside.

-Once hot dogs are finished, cut into bite sized pieces. Combine with curry mixture.


*Smart Dogs from Lightlife taste the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment